Saturday, March 19, 2011

"Meat"balls, Zucchini Bread, Charred Tomato Soup

Finally have some time to catch up on my blogging. I have not been cooking quite as much as I would like but here are some things I have tried recently:



Spaghetti and Meatballs I have made these a few times. I use Gimme Lean sausage, raw cashews instead of walnuts and skip the part about adding garlic powder and black pepper while they are cooking. I seem to burn them each time but they still taste fine. They are family friendly and my husband has requested them several times so I guess they have become part of our rotation.



Benz Zucchini Bread This is very yummy and cooks very nicely. I always halve the recipe since I do not need two loaves. The changes I make are: only using 1/2 cup sugar and less oil than requested, left out raisins and nuts because then my kids would never eat it. On one attempt, I tried to use half whole wheat pastry flour and used applesauce/sweet potato baby food (since I still have a bunch collecting dust in the cabinet) instead of the oil but it was terrible and I threw most of it away :(


Charred Tomato Soup I was watching Alex's Day Off on the Food Network one morning (not sure why since I really dislike Alex on Chopped) and she made this soup which looked easy enough. I did not have any vermouth so I just used white vinegar and it added a nice kick. Balsamic would have worked too. My husband made this on his own a few weeks later so I guess he enjoyed it. I just used the immersion blender and left a few chunks the first time but honestly I preferred it almost completely smooth so that is how the second batch was made.

2 comments:

  1. Em, I have never made meatballs - I just use Trader Joe's meatballs. But, these look like they would be yummy and not too expensive. Love tomato soup - I should try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think we have tried the Trader Joe's meatballs or the sausages (you like those, right?). Not sure why exactly. Definitely use the sausage Gimme Lean, not the ground beef type...it has a very funny taste.

    ReplyDelete