Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Home-made Hummus


At an impromptu deck party earlier this summer, my friend had made some home-made hummus (she called it chumoos). Since then, I have been wondering about making my own hummus. And last month, I did. It's not so difficult to make and it was amazing to have home-made hummus in the fridge in the hot summer months. It was gone in 3-4 days. I added many things I found to my hummus and think it would be good even without all of the additions. I also boiled dried chickpeas and used them instead of canned beans - I think that really helped with the taste, but that also affected how long often I can make this.

The basic recipe calls for
2 cups of chickpeas,
2 T tahini
2 T olive oil
Salt, to taste.

I also added 1 cup of roasted red peppers (store bought),
handful of basil and cilantro
3 cloves of garlic
Paprika, to taste.

Purree all the ingredients to the consistency you like (a little chunky for some of us, very smooth for others) and enjoy it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment