Monday, May 4, 2009

Biscuits and Gravy

3 Posts from us in 2 days... wow!!
I made a vegan version of biscuits and gravy for dinner today and wanted to post it quickly before I forget!! I love breakfast foods for dinner!!
The biscuits were from Vegan Dad - I used Tofutti cream cheese instead of shortening (and did not brush the biscuits with margarine) and used 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour and 1 Cup All Purpose Flour. The biscuits were dense, but yummy!!



The gravy is a recipe from our friend Suren. He cooks really good food and made a vegetarian gravy for me every time we had brunch together in Urbana-Champaign. Now Ishara and Suren (with their kids, Mishka and Priya) are in Alabama and we don't get to see them as much. So I make it for myself! I veganized the vegetarian version today and really enjoyed the food. Not really low-cal, but not too bad! I used Morning Star Grillers instead of TVP - the latter may have been healthier, but cooking it would have required more oil - that was my justification :) You can play with the seasoning too. The original recipe called for Onion powder and Garlic powder. I did not have either, so I used Adobo seasoning instead! We like our food slightly spicy, so the amount of black pepper can be reduced for a milder taste.

Vegan Gravy (for Biscuits and Gravy)

Ingredients:
2 T Oil
1 1/2 C Morning Star Grillers
1 t Salt
1 T Adobo seasoning
2 T Black/White Pepper
1 T Italian Seasoning
1 t Chilli Powder
3 to 4 T All Purpose Flour
2-3 C Light Soy Milk - Plain only


Add Oil to a pan, saute Grillers stirring often. Once it darkens (or TVP browns), add salt, adobo, pepper, italian seasoning, and chilli powder. Cook for 2-3 more minutes till the flavors mix.

Add flour, 1 T at a time, stirring after each addition. The flour should cook - add extra oil if needed.

Once the flour starts to brown, add 1/2 cup of milk. This will deglaze the pan and thicken the mixture as you stir. Add more milk, 1 cup at a time till it reaches a consistency you like.

Simmer and serve over biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment