Well, I made my own version of the Carrot Cake from 101 cookbooks. The prep work was a little bit time consuming but I think it turned out really well. This is a very dense cake which reminds me more of banana bread or zucchini bread than carrot cake. The batter actually made far more than I needed. It made one loaf pan's worth and then 5 additional muffins. These are the changes that I made (some to make it vegan and others based on the ingredients I had in the house).
- Walnuts (I used a mix of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and almonds)
- Butter (I used Earth Balance and microwaved for about 15 seconds to soften)
- Greek Yogurt (I used plain soy yogurt but I know it is hard to find. Vanilla would be fine)
- 3 bananas (just used 2 and it was more than enough)
- 2 eggs (I whisked up 2 flax seed "eggs" - 2 TB flax meal mixed with 6 TB water, heat in microwave for 30 seconds and then whisk and let cool)
- My "bread" needed far more time that was recommended. I would say it ended up being about 70-75 minutes total and was still very inside.