Friday, May 15, 2009

Broccoli-Mushroom Rice Bake


I realize that this picture looks like vomit but it did not taste like that. Now that you are hungry, I will describe this meal. I have been making lots of casserole-y things lately. Not sure why exactly? This was based on Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole from Vegweb.com. Mine was not necessarily cheesy but I tried. It was more like that green bean casserole you have at Thanksgiving but with broccoli instead of green beans and added rice. I used Imagine Portabello Mushroom Soup mixed with about 1/4 cup of Tofutti Sour Cream (I think the cream cheese may have helpoed make it more "cheesy"). My result was too watery so I will use less mushroom soup next time. I also should have sauteed the onion before adding to the recipe. I added some Follow Your Heart Cheddar to the top and mixed in some nutritional yeast and Vegan Parmesan but still very little "cheese" flavor. I topped with fried onion strips since there are still some here after the Shepherd's Pie and M and D like them. This recipe needs a lot more salt and spice than it indicates. I will try another time and see if I can perfect it (and maybe make it a bit more presentable!).

No comments:

Post a Comment